I'm going to have a crash course on power tools when a friend gets out of lockdown. I don't mind all the hand work I have to do, but my results are a bit rustic. I was pleased to find some trims for my sound holes. They're giant eyelets for curtains. Today I fitted a back which is held on by screws so I can get in and tinker about if necessary, also a truss rod cover.
Here it is, the result of ten days stuck in a Cabin with nothing but a pile of stuff and some tools. I had a Continental Cone fitted for a short while but I cut the saddle too low, so I reverted to the cheapo cone which sounds really good to my ear. The Continental was deeper and purer but the cheapo has a nice metallic ring to it.
The neck also flexed forwards more than I'd imagined, under the weight of eight strings tuned to GDAE. Frets 14 to 18 had to go to get the neck straight so I invented "Silver filler" and filled the slots. I don't play past the seventh fret anyway.
I noticed that Davey used a cone made for a mandolin that matches one I have ( visually at any rate) These cones have a smaller than guitar size place for the biscuit and no spirals. I think I will use a Continental guitar cone. I used one in a reso mandolin before and was very pleased with the tone. Pete
I've got the cone from a Chinese metal Mandolin fitted, and it's okay but it has a slightly plunky sound to it. I'll leave it a week then I'll put in a Continental Cone which I have. It's been in once but I cut the saddle too low.
I've started making number two, which will be a Tenor Mandola, mainly because the neck I bought was a 17 inch scale length.